Re: rsyncing images

> Not very much, but it's a little less efficient. If packages are in random
> order, rsync will "only" download some 20 MB more (2500 files with each
> one half un-matching 8192-byte block on either side).

Great!

> Yes, this is normal, since practically all CD-dependent things are located at
> the beginning of the CDs -- like the directory structure and
> Packages(.cd)(.gz) files. These things aren't available on the FTP sites, so
> can't be in the .list files. In my experience, that's maximally about 10 MB;
> after that, things go really fast.

10 Megs, I thought it might be the CD specific stuff, just the docs that
claims "6 Megs" should be updated, saying at least "6 to 10 Megs", and
possibly mentioning that it is mostly in the first part of the image,
otherwise it does give the false impression that the whole image is
being downloaded. Just an idea.

> Hmm.. with 64 kbit that'd be 144 MB. That's no good, and I can't explain it...

I did put the pseudo image kit to the test... throwing mirrors at it
that refused my connection, or were terribly incomplete, in no
particular order... I'll start from scratch on the first image.

I've resumed the second image download. (I stopped it at 8 megs, just
after backing up the temp file, and adding it to the end of the pseudo
image...)

> I surely hope not ;-)  But if interesting things happen, please post a report.

I'll redo the first image. The second one works perfectly. Skipped first
9 Megs, downloaded two to three megs, then started skipping most of it.
I prefer rsync with "-vvvvv"... ;)

> NLG? Da's veel te duur -- equivalent 75 ct/min als je een ISDN-modem zou
> gebruiken. Zelfs met m'n abo-loze mobiele bel ik goedkoper ;-)

Close but not quite. We used to live there (my dutch is still fine), but
I'm currently back home, in South Africa (I am Afrikaans). No ISDN :(
The South African Rand is so weak that it doesn't seem expensive to
"foreigners", but here, the Telkom monopoly does take its toll.

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe