Re: rsyncing images

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

> I'm trying to get Debian cd images 1 (nonus) and 2, by using the pseudo
> image kit. How much does it matter that the packages are not in exact
> order as in the listing? I had a couple of errors in the download which

Not very much, but it's a little less efficient. If packages are in random
order, rsync will "only" download some 20 MB more (2500 files with each
one half un-matching 8192-byte block on either side).

> resulted in about three or four "sections" of packages being out of
> place on my second image, many more on the first. I'm busy rsyncing the
> second image, and it has already downloaded the first 8 megs of the CD,
> with only 3 8192 byte blocks from the "pseudo image"... is this normal?!

Yes, this is normal, since practically all CD-dependent things are located at
the beginning of the CDs -- like the directory structure and
Packages(.cd)(.gz) files. These things aren't available on the FTP sites, so
can't be in the .list files. In my experience, that's maximally about 10 MB;
after that, things go really fast.

> I tried rsyncing the first image last night, but when it had fully
> utilised my dial-up link for 5 hours, and progressed to 60%, I realised

Hmm.. with 64 kbit that'd be 144 MB. That's no good, and I can't explain it...

> it would probably be quicker and cheaper if I start again with a more
> "decent" pseudo image, and get at the "promised 6 meg d/l". Now with the
> second image nearing 8.2 Megs, I'm wondering if this pseudo image kit is
> completely broken... ?

I surely hope not ;-)  But if interesting things happen, please post a report.

> I have free access to a debian mirror on a lan, but they charge us 1,50
> of our currency per meg of traffic outside the lan, which is why I do
> the rsync via modem, supposed to be cheaper...

NLG? Da's veel te duur -- equivalent 75 ct/min als je een ISDN-modem zou
gebruiken. Zelfs met m'n abo-loze mobiele bel ik goedkoper ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer