Re: Yacs-0.1 is here

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

>> I _really_ like the way you've worked out sizes for CDs. This is becoming
>> a major issue for us. If you don't mind, I may steal this idea for
>> debian_cd. :-)
>
>Of course you can, but if you like yacs, we could even work both on it
>so that it may become the official way of creating the CDs. But we're
>not there yet since I do not have something that can actually create CD
>images ...

Possibly, yes. When I can grab some of this Copious Free Time...

>> As you're using apt to order packages for you, I presume that CD#1 is
>> going to be filled with required / base / standard / important packages
>
>Actually it's only filled with required / base / standard pacakge. I'm
>checking for section base explicitely. Are there any packages that are in
>base and that are not >= standard ??

A few, yes.

>> first, then you'll be filling in optional and extra packages. A strict
>> ordering is quite easy, as (I'd guess) the tree depth of Debian packages
>> isn't going to be very large. How do you decide between equal-priority
>> packages at a given depth? I'd guess alphabetically, but that isn't
>> clear. This was another big issue for slink_cd.
>
>I do not decide anything, i'm leaving apt deciding about the depends and
>include packages in the order in which they are listed in the tasks files

OK, so I guess I should ask Jason then. Jason, you listening?

>> Is there any particular reason to split up all the tasks/profiles in the
>> way you've done it? I think I can see a possible good reason, but I'm
>> curious to see yours.
>
>It's simple. The goal of yacs is to be able to easily create customized
>CDs. To do so, you simply need to give an ordered list of packages that
>you want to include on your CD. And if you're much lazy, you can write
>meta-tasks that will #include (they are piped into cpp before beeing used)
>other tasks already written (or those that are automatically created from
>the master file).

OK, that's what I thought you may be doing. Cool.

>>  It would be nice to have multiple allowed sizes for CDs: #1 needs lots of
>>  space for docs and boot images etc, as Chris said, while the other CDs
>>  can be filled much further.
>
>Yes I was planning to add such a support, it's quite easy.

True.

>>  Is there a better way of doing ordering than by driving apt? It's an
>
>I asked the other days on this list about this issue and nobody answered
>me, that's why I've used apt-get -s.
>
>And you'll need apt 0.3.X, so even if you have an slink machine you'll
>need to update it.
>
>If there's an other way to find the depends that are needed then i'm
>listening since 3700 apt-get launch takes me about 2 hours ... :-)

*grin* Ouch! I'll have a look at the ordering thing; I'm sure pkg-order
could/should be able to do this, but it may need some "persuasion" :-)

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,