Re: Yacs-0.1 is here

Le Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 10:26:46AM +0100, Steve McIntyre écrivait:
> >I do not decide anything, i'm leaving apt deciding about the depends and
> >include packages in the order in which they are listed in the tasks files
>
> OK, so I guess I should ask Jason then. Jason, you listening?

Just to clarify things :

Suppose you have a (little) task like this one :
sympa
nasm-mode

The my script will start by looking sympa, it will launch apt-get with my
script and will decide to install some packages based on this information :
$ tools/apt-selection install sympa
[...]
Inst libio-stringy-perl
Inst libmd5-perl
Inst libmime-base64-perl
Inst libtimedate-perl
Inst mailtools
Inst libmime-perl
Inst libmsgcat-perl
Inst sympa

Then I'll remove from the list the packages that have already been
included ... So the first packages included are those listed above.

Now it will do the same for the second pacakge. And it will miserably fail
because of an unsolvable problem ... nasm-mode depends only on a virtual
package (xemacs20 | xemacs19) and apt-get can't decide wich package to
install, so it fails ... :-( and the package is not included.

The solution may be something that Jason will write especially for us,
look at http://bugs.debian.org/41091 (FYI, Jason does not read this
list). This will give us the possibility to actually make the choice
that apt-get did not want to do.

> *grin* Ouch! I'll have a look at the ordering thing; I'm sure pkg-order
> could/should be able to do this, but it may need some "persuasion" :-)

What I like in apt-get is this possibility to take decision when possible,
whereas pkgorder does simply represent in perl the dependency information.
And pkgorder is quite difficult to understand (even If I'm a good perl
programmer) ... :)

Furthermore, the official way of installing Debian will be apt-get so by
using it i'm sure that i'll include the good packages !

And I'm sure that I can optimize the script by calling apt-get install
with more than one package when I'm at the beginning of a CD (ie when there
is much space to be filled ...). That's why it may not be worth to find
something else.

Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/