Re: Subtle changes to debian-cd

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, jim westveer wrote:

>> Possibly; the reason they went on CD 2 was space - they fit quite well.
>> Moving them to source means we're probably going to have to move to 3
>> source CDs now. But that's probably the case already.
>Yea, that was probably it.  I only moved them in the
>"potato/" section, when I was trying to make space on cd2(potato).
>As it turns out the second cd (potato) is still 740M or so.
>The addition of Gnome, and others has made the second cd quite fat.

Ah, OK...

>I was meaning to ask you about slink2.optional (or cd2.optional in
>potato).  I get the feeling that these are the files from binary-all
>and binary-i386 that did not fit on the first cd ??

Ish. It _used_ to list the Priority: optional packages that would not fit
on CD #1. Priority: extra packages also go on CD#2. But these days things
are done differently: optional packages that would be useful on CD #1 are
listed in "useful". Any remaining optional packages go on CD #2. (i.e.
slink2.optional shouldn't be around any more.) But this probably won't
work so well for potato, as it looks like we're going to need 3 binary

>Of course all of this is speculation, as there is not a boot-disk
>set, and that will effect what has to go on the first disk.

>On the positive side, with the changes to debian_cd because of the
>name change of the non-us override file names, and the small
>changes in boot-i386, I was able to make a bootable/installable
>potato disk #1. (well it did have 245 un-met dependencies;-(

>MeThinks that I will set this aside for another month, and
>wait and see what changes....

Probably best. Now I'm back from Usenix and the major deadline headache at
work has passed I'll be able to dive in again shortly...

Steve McIntyre, stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk The Unix world's best mod player
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------
"Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I..."  |Finger for PGP key