Re: What to do about the "Official" CD

Dale Scheetz writes:
>You could be right, and the correct way to deal with Vendor CDs is to
>provide a simple, fairly complete user platform on one CD, with the
>expressed understanding that those who want more development tools, or
>other programs not included can find them on the FTP site. I personally
>would have no problem with this, as that is just what I am doing now ;-)
>On the other hand, it would be superior of Debian to provide the complete
>distribution in a working set of CDs, and I would be willing to put effort
>into that improvement, although I submit that until we gain some real
>control over the "bloating" of the distribution, that any CD
>implementation will suffer from these same problems. If we ever get
>control of that part of the distribution, the contents of the various CDs
>should be much more obvious.

If you have suggestions on how to break things up on different CDs, please
feel free to suggest them on debian-cd. There _have_ been problems in the
past with the way the CDs have been done, yes. But there is a lot of
discussion and hard work going into improving the process at the moment.
In particular, the first CD of the official set works quite well as a
standalone, in much the same way as your ED by the sounds of things. If
there are improvements you've made then I'm sure we'd all like to see them
made for everybody...

Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------
"Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I..."  |Finger for PGP key