Re: releasing jessie-kfreebsd (was: kfreebsd IRC meeting?)

Hello
I tested installation from the provided ISO.
Installation process runs fine, also on ZFS and ZFS on root.

Main problem is with APT mirrors, seems that many are not working.
httpredir mirror should be selected as default for kfreebsd

There is also a problem when changing keyboard language.
For example, I select italian layout.
The problem is related to filesystem mount at startup.
I use a separate / /usr /var /home since the beginning of time

/etc/init.d/keyboard-setup fails ate startup because runs before mountall
/etc/init.d/keyboard-setup calls /bin/setupcon
/bin/setupcon calls in turn /usr/bin/ckbcomp which is not available at startup, before mountall

I am sure not many people will run kfreebsd on separate /usr, but I think that setupcon and ckbcomp which both belong to console-setup should live in same directory

For all the rest, congratulations for great work!
kFreeBSD is in amazing good shape!

Bye
gl

Hi,

Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> We are running out of time, as wheezy security support ends in April, so
> we must release as soon as possible to give users time to upgrade.
>
> There is not much left to do however:
>   * I need to upload GRUB2;

done

>   * if we're sure debian-installer has no issues, I should upload
>     gdk-pixbuf which will allow it to actually build;

done

>   * some CDs built by debian-cd tools would be nice to test with,
>     before official ones are built on cdimage.d.o.

I've built a test image here including -p-u and I am happy with it:
http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/job/debian-installer_jessie-kfreebsd/ws/debian-8.4-kfreebsd-amd64-CD-1.iso
SHA-256
: dae659788f2fd7d92e59a0a62f3144887d7a44f308703a93a46d3b7bca10ab2e
I'd encourage anyone to test that if they can.

I think we can begin the release process now:

debian-installer is uplodaed, but must be installed, which may be
automatic I'm not sure:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=debian-installer&suite=jessie-kfreebsd

Then jessie-kfreebsd-p-u must be copied into jessie-kfreebsd.  This is
probably a good time because the official suites are about to freeze p-u
for a point release next weekend.

debian-cd tools need some symlinks to alias jessie-kfreebsd to jessie,
and another small bugfix may be needed.

If the jessie-kfreebsd suite is ready in time, maybe the kfreebsd CD
images could be built along with the 8.4 point release.  I'll start to
ping the relevant teams now.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org