Re: debug package for kfreebsd-10?

On 23/06/13 12:45, Robert Millan wrote:
> # Full debugger support is disabled by upstream when a branch is close to
> # release.  Unfortunately this can trigger the appearance of heisenbugs
> # which were previously hidden (we've been hit by this already, see #651624).

I don't see how that particular bug was related to debug options?

I never felt confident about our understanding of that bug, I did not
get answers to some of the things I asked early on, but then this:

http://bugs.debian.org/651624#60

seemed to match a bug I was later able to reproduce and explain in
detail, and could be triggered by the renaming or renumbering of devices
forming a ZFS pool.

http://bugs.debian.org/651624#157

> # This disables full debugger support in advance, so that the build
> # configuration which is going to be used for release is tested during the
> # whole release cycle.  If you need a debug kernel, simply remove/comment
> # the following lines:
>
> Do you think we can live with this? It would mean bugs appear
> precisely the first time you upload to unstable.

I'm slightly in favour of doing this anyway.  I'd hope that having tried
an experimental kernel with debug options for a while is better than
risk a kernel going through experimental/unstable without having done
this at all.  There is still time to fix something or file RC bugs
before it transitions to jessie.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org