Re: kfreebsd-9 in experimental?

Hi Darko,

Darko Hojnik wrote:
> Please tell me what makes KfreeBSD for you interesting to use?

The fact that it's a bastard. It shows how free software makes it
possible to combine things which were never planned to work together.

> What does KfreeBSD to makes the World a little bit better?

It offers you things which weren't possible before.

> It's a philosophical question.

And a philosophical answer.

> So for me it's not interesting to deploy it on a Desktop.

That's for you, but that doesn't need to be the case for everyone.
Debian still tries to be an "universal operating system" and that
counts the same way for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, too.

> Because FreeBSD/KfreeBSD leaks on support with mainstream-consumer
> like hardware.

Hrm, so the EeeBox on which I run Debian GNU/kFreeBSD as a desktop
since about 2.5 years is no mainstream-consumer hardware?

> Accept it because it is like is.

Nope. :-)

> The Slogan of FreeBSD is the power to serve... Thats the real focus
> of FreeBSD.

That's FreeBSD. Not only the FreeBSD kernel. (And I personally can't
understand how you can run a server with rolling releases in the ports.)

> On a server FreeBSD is in many cases better then Linux.

That's highly debatable and depends on a lot of details in case of
benchmarking. Go to phoronix.com and look for kfreebsd benchmarks.

And in my personal case, me and my coworkers are all happy that we got
rid of our last FreeBSD servers and replaced them with Debian
GNU/Linux and in some cases Ubuntu servers, partially even on the same
hardware. No more new features with Samba or CUPS when we just needed
security fixes...

> And Debian GNU KfreeBSD is the logical pragmatic way to simplifying
> the Power of the FreeBSD-Kernel with an good package-management.

But it's not limited to that.

> As an example Netapp is for storage one of the well known backbones on
> the cloud. Would it be not better for the world if Debian kFreeBSD would
> takes this part?

No, that would mean to focus on one or two single targets like e.g.
Ubuntu or Fedora does.

> Typical Desktops and Workstations of today begins to be outdated.
> And within ten years they will haves no future anymore.

That's an audacious claim.

> And that would be great! Everything in the Cloud usable on demand
> just in time!

I doubt that "the cloud" will replace desktops and workstations. For
some years application hosting and thin clients are in and then again
after a few years, fat workstations are in again. It's a coming and
going.

At least with our users at work the trend currently is again away from
thin clients (we're more or less stuck with them) to big fat
workstations with many cores and several terabytes of disk space.

> I think it will be nice if this project would set more focus on quality.

I don't know any other distribution which tests their releases so
thoroughly as Debian does. Neither do I know any other distribution
which has as high standards for packaging like Debian.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin