Re: kfreebsd-9 in experimental?

Am 15.06.2011, 21:52 Uhr, schrieb Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>:

Hi,

Darko Hojnik wrote:
Am 15.06.2011, 19:51 Uhr, schrieb Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>:
> Would this be a good time to put kfreebsd-9 in experimental?

I don't think so. They is more then enough to do with the kfreebsd 8.
Arno told me at the last Linuxday, he is working on iSCSI.

That's no argument against the fact that _others_ work on kfreebsd-9.

The debian-installer for KfreeBSD should be radical rewritten.

That's the first time I hear about this.

And Jails should be implemented.

I think, keeping up with upstream is more important that making single
features work.

(I though don't know the answer to Robert's question.)

Also needs the FreeBSD project needs manpower to fix VIMAGE

We are not the FreeBSD project. So that shouldn't be relevant either.

and to develop resource-limitations for Jails.

Sounds to me like a subfeature of a feature.

		Regards, Axel

Please tell me what makes KfreeBSD for you interesting to use? What does KfreeBSD to makes the World a little bit better? It's a philosophical question.

So for me it's not interesting to deploy it on a Desktop. Because FreeBSD/KfreeBSD leaks on support with mainstream-consumer like hardware. Accept it because it is like is. The Slogan of FreeBSD is the power to serve... Thats the real focus of FreeBSD. On a server FreeBSD is in many cases better then Linux. And Debian GNU KfreeBSD is the logical pragmatic way to simplifying the Power of the FreeBSD-Kernel with an good package-management. As an example Netapp is for storage one of the well known backbones on the cloud. Would it be not better for the world if Debian kFreeBSD would takes this part? Both has got the same kernel. Typical Desktops and Workstations of today begins to be outdated. And within ten years they will haves no future anymore. And that would be great! Everything in the Cloud usable on demand just in time!
But the clock ticks and ticks...
Debian and all another opensource-projects has to realize whats currently happen. I think they haves a good chance to win this game. If it will be lost then it will lost everything. Democracy and generally every Freedom not on Software only, on every part of life would be controlled on some company's.

My self is using more then 10 years Debian. Some years ago I could every day say that debian ships mass with class. But in some cases currently it's mass only instead class... I think it will be nice if this project would set more focus on quality. The Debian-installer supports only a basic install on ZFS. They is no support to install it on subvolumes. Also to handle compression, DEDUP and other features of ZFS. So you have still to choose debootstrap for an install in a datacenter.

If you are hacking on the FreeBSD kernel so also you hack for an better KfreeBSD too. Don't take everything only, give something back. Debian is not Ubuntu.

I'm looking very interested on this project. But I see very much open problems. Why merge unnecessary stuff they will need to much time to solve currently not present problems?

cheers
Darko