Re: kfreebsd-kernel-headers and USB API breakage

* freeglut
  It is possible to disable USB scan of joystick by hack bellow.

I would prefer to stay on headers based on 8.0.

As most of the problem are concentrated on the USB stack, what about
switching back to 7.2 headers only for /dev/bus/usb? There is a
compatibility layer in the kernel, and we can then switch back to the
new stack when more stuff has been ported.

An alternative option is to install the old /dev/bus/usb in
/dev/legacy/bus/usb, as it seems to be on 8.0 installations (haven't
upgrade my plain FreeBSD machine yet). Then a single line change fixes
our problems.

From my POV, only the "/dev/legacy/bus/usb" is fine.
As we advertise __FreeBSD_kernel_version to be from 8.0
series, we should put in /dev/bus/usb the 8.0 headers.

* hal
  There is a new upstream release 0.5.14, the git log
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal/log contains lines like
  2009-08-18        add USB2 support
  2009-08-18        add USB2 support to the FreeBSD backend

I believe it should not be so hard to extend it for GNU/kFreeBSD.

The plan is to upload 0.5.14 asap to unstable, but the maintainer is
waiting for a fix of kfreebsd-kernel-headers or hal. Can someone work on that?

Looking quickly at it, it is based on libusb20, which is not packaged
yet...

The preliminary version is SVN, the sources are already in freebsd-libs_8.0.orig.tar.gz.
It claims that it is API compatible with both libusb-0.1 and libusb-1.0
used on Linux. It would be nice if Maintainer of libusb and libusb-1.0
[Hello Aurelien ;-)] could confirm that. It is unclear for me
what name -dev package should have and whether it should provide
libusb-dev and libusb-1.0-0-dev.

Petr