Re: [RFC] switch default kernel to 7.x based

It looks like a good idea. I am also wondering if we should provide ZFS
support in our kernels. I have played a bit with it recently and its
clearly a killer feature. Currently it is disabled because we have
enabled ext2 support. Both have incompatible licenses (GPL v2 vs CDDL),
so that would mean disabling ext2 support. Any comments?

I personally use ext2 to share /home on dual boot machine.
So it would be nice to have a recipe for building kernel with opposite feature, regardless which one would be the default one.

Switch to 7.x based kernels also have one big advantage, there would be
available real-time signals. It would be possible to runtime detect this
and select rt/non-rt implementation of linuxthreads in glibc dynamically.
With the rt one "ext/threads/shared/t/stress" in perl testsuite passes ...

That's clearly something we need.

Definitely, we need a current perl available, it is a reason
for huge number of uninstallable packages shown by http://edos.debian.net/edos-debcheck/kfreebsd.php

BTW, do you know if the futexes support in the FreeBSD 7.1 will be correct enough to use an NPTL glibc?

I don't know, we will see.
For "lenny snapshot" we should stay with current linuxthreads add-on.
For "lenny+1", FreeBSD 8.x with *at syscalls should be available.

Petr