Re: Status of NetBSD port?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:28:20PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> As far as I know, NetBSD weren't pushing their stuff upstream terribly
> hard. I think that's mostly resolved now (gcc<3.2ish defaulted to a.out
> on NetBSD-i386 - gcc 3.3 at least defaults to ELF sanity)

GCC 3.x prior to 3.2 or 3.3 cannot compile a NetBSD system from /usr/src
correctly, or such was the last rumor I heard. However, the Debian packages
for 3.x (once patched somewhat to cope with things that are true on all
Linux systems, but not NetBSD, which were applied in Debian patches) seemed
to compile perfectly workable libraries. I didn't get around to trying to
boot one of those kernels, though.

On the other hand, GCC3 is now a part of the mainline build stuff for
NetBSD's own release, and I believe the intent is to release 2.0 with GCC
3.mumble as the primary compiler. But don't take that as gospel...
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/NetBSD(i386) porter                                       : :' :