Re: Status of NetBSD port?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 04:21:39PM -0500, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> Stupid question, but why not just use debootstrap to make a tarball, and
> then hack the NetBSD installer to use that tarball? Then it's just a
> matter of bypassing any damage their installer does to /etc.

I did manage to successfully install a couple of systems with my hacked
up things - the main problem was package brokeness once debootstrap had
started, rather than anything philosophical. If we can get most of base
dealt with to a reasonable quality, then we could do a "proper" install
that way. In the long run, porting debian-installer would be more
sane...

> The BSD's haven't always had their patches merged into upstream. I'm not
> sure why. I do know that the problem has existed with all three BSD's in
> varying degrees.  Things do seem to be better now than they've been in
> the past, though.

As far as I know, NetBSD weren't pushing their stuff upstream terribly
hard. I think that's mostly resolved now (gcc<3.2ish defaulted to a.out
on NetBSD-i386 - gcc 3.3 at least defaults to ELF sanity)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org