Re: *BSD and GNU/*BSD nomenclature

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 07:36:32PM +0100, ${john}$ wrote:
> >what worries me here is that "GNU/" is added without fully understanding
> >what it means, just to keep RMS happy.
>
> Well I'm suggesting it be added as a sensible way to distinguish, not to
> appease anyone. The difference between it and vanilla NetBSD is that a
> substantial chunk of the system is GNU software, and that's all the
> "GNU/" would mean as far as I'm concerned.

yes, but terms like "vanilla" or "native" are confusive here. both NetBSD
and GNU are complete OSes on their own, GNU/NetBSD is just a combination.

> (Personally, I'd have told him where to stick it. Laughable hypocrisy --
> this guy calls the BSD advertising clause obnoxious, then harangues
> everyone to credit the GNU project not merely in the software, but the
> name of their product!)

you seem to be confused with that, please see these FAQ questions:

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#freespeech
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#require
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#deserve