Re: *BSD and GNU/*BSD nomenclature (was: Re: X Strike Force SVN commit: rev 183 - in branches/4.3.0/sid/debian: . patches)

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:05:12PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> [ moved the discussion to debian-bsd ]
>
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:17:14PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> > >
> > > [1] as of now GNU/Hurd and GNU/*BSD only exist in Debian, but we can't
> > >     assume that for a configuration file.
> >
> > And the NetBSD one is *not* GNU-based,
>
> then it doesn't make sense to call it "GNU/NetBSD", would you mind
> fixing the website accordingly?

It still uses a primarily GNU userland - coreutils is there, just like
almost every other Debian package. There was some debate over the precise
name, when it first came up; however, as far as we can tell, the request by
RMS that Debian agreed to involved the userland tools, not just the libc.
Since we still have that userland as the primary choice, and only a select
few netbsd tools (most of those only for building NetBSD core things that
depend on their behavior), it seemed more accurate to leave the GNU in the
name.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>