Re: X Strike Force SVN commit: rev 183 - in branches/4.3.0/sid/debian: . patches

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:27:31AM +0900, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:

> >> btw, if someone is going to fix gnu.cf, please consider splitting it
> >> into a gnu-common.cf file so that it can be shared with gnu-freebsd.cf
> >> (see the header comments in patch #820)
>
>  I just wrote same idea into my TODO list
> (xfree86/people/ishikaawa/TODO).
>
>  I'm planning to work for this hack on this weekend :-)

glad to hear that!

after looking at your TODO, i have a pair of comments on your plan:

- i think site.def is a more adequate place for debian-specific stuff
  see what the upstream docs say about site.def (INSTALL-X.org, section 3.5)
- you're moving stuff into debian.cf that isn't actualy debian-specific.
  when i said "gnu-common.cf" i meant stuff common to GNUish systems
  (mostly related to Glibc and userland), but not debian-specific. [1]

I think we should take care to do these modifications in a way that they are
acceptable for upstream. So if you split into gnu-common.cf the common
stuff that isn't debian-specific, and into debian.cf (or site.def) the
debian-specific stuff, we'd just have to send gnu-common.cf to upstream
and maintain debian.cf/site.def in debian.

[1] as of now GNU/Hurd and GNU/*BSD only exist in Debian, but we can't
    assume that for a configuration file.