Re: Autoconf build targets

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:57:30PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Nathan Hawkins
> | I hope to be able to get the FreeBSD binutils and gcc out of there
> | sometime, since they're only used to build the kernel, and from what
> | I'm told -CURRENT should be buildable with gcc 3.x now. Binutils may
> | not be able to go away for a while yet. :(
>
> except that it's ugly, how would it be to just prepend bsd- to the
> names of those utilities?  It would remove the need for /usr/bsd at
> least (but might be just as ugly since you might need to change a lot
> in upstream source).

Yes, it is ugly, and at the moment, there is also stuff in
/usr/bsd/libexec, /usr/bsd/libdata and /usr/bsd/share. Until I get the
kernel to build with the system binutils and gcc, and get the FreeBSD
versions out of there, it's going to be a mess.  After that, it might
become possible to clean it up.

I think using /usr/bsd, as I do now, is fairly simple. Given the
complexity of the source package's build system, I'd like to keep it
simple. (Keep in mind, this is only required to build the freebsd
source package. You don't need it for anything else.) I think I really
just need to find an FHS-compliant directory to put this stuff in.

	---Nathan