Re: Autoconf build targets

Robert Millan wrote:
On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:53:50AM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

Another example would be installing various build tools like BSD make into /usr/bsd instead of /usr/bin.
There has just been a long discussion in debian-devel about the GNU/Hurd
system breaking FHS. I don't have anything against /usr/bsd or the
like, but I guess any FHS incompliance will bring more trouble
and discussions.

I've read parts of that thread. For the most part, I'm not in sympathy with the Hurd on this. Filesystem should be laid out according to FHS unless there's a compelling reason not to, in which case FHS needs to be changed.

/usr/bsd was a temporary convenience until I have time to read the FHS, and figure out how to do it right. (i.e. I have a working system with no major bugs.) It's closest equivilent is /usr/ucb on Solaris.

Any FHS non-compliance in freebsd-i386 should be considered temporary, as a solution for until I have a better way to handle. In other words, a convenience for the process of getting to a working system. In the case of /usr/libexec, there is one file installed there, and it's a kernel and binary compatibility issue. When/if that is resolved, it can come out. I might just symlink /usr/libexec to /lib. Nothing else uses it (or should), and dynamic linker should be in /lib.

I then patch several shell scripts, and also sources for make to point to /usr/bsd/bin/sh instead of /bin/sh, because on Debian /bin/sh is bash.
In Debian /bin/sh can be a simlink to any POSIX-compliant shell. If you
need a C shell then /bin/csh should be used. what features is it looking
for exactly?

Packages which depend on a specific shell to build shouldn't be trying to use /bin/sh. The build system for this large source package calls /bin/sh, and fails to work with bash. Since bash is default /bin/sh, and since what exactly is /bin/sh is subject to change by the user, this must be patched in the source to use something other than /bin/sh. Either that or fix the scripts so they will work with bash. I don't have time to do the latter, and it'd be more work to maintain.

	---Nathan