Re: Autoconf build targets

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:51:31AM -0400, Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> was heard to say:
> >   More seriously, does anyone know what POSIX says should happen here?
> > I've Cced the bash and ash maintainers in case they have suggestions.
>
> POSIX says that it should work.  File bugs.

  I just checked, and I don't need to; see #86397.  I wouldn't hold my
breath waiting for it to get fixed, though.

  Here's what the upstream said:

<quote>
This is a hard problem to fix.  I've looked at various ways to do so, and
it gets very messy when you've got a yacc-based parser.

POSIX.2 noted this situation, and added an optional `(' before the
case pattern, so the parens match.  Since most posix-like shells
support it, that is the syntax I recommend.
</quote>

  Daniel

|                If we do not change our direction                            |
|                we are likely to end up where we are headed.                 |
\------------- Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org -- Because. ------------/