Re: Autoconf build targets

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:05:47PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> Looked like a bourne shell to me. Default root shell is /bin/csh on
> FreeBSD, but I believe /bin/sh is basically the same as ash.
> Interestingly, MAKEDEV fails to work with bash but works fine with ash.

Weird. Have you tried with the ash from Debian? Could you paste the lines
failing and error from MAKEDEV?

> sh is one of the tools it needs to build the source. There are several
> others:
>
> skaro:/# ls /usr/bsd/bin
> byacc       gcov        kas       kgdb      kranlib   make       patch  yacc
> colldef     gensetdefs  kc++filt  kld       kreadelf  mkdep      sh
> yyfix
> compile_et  install     kcc       knm       ksize     mknod      tcsh
> csh         kaddr2line  kcpp      kobjcopy  kstrings  mktemp     tsort
> find        kar         kgasp     kobjdump  kstrip    objformat  xargs
>
> And yes, all of these are things for which I can't presently substitute
> the regular versions of these from Debian packages. :(
>
> Several of the tools are there because they have incompatible options to
>  GNU versions. find and install for example. Others are apparently
> BSD-specific, like gensetdefs or compile_et.

I think at least we should have a compatible install, csh, tcsh, make
(pmake package) and sh in Debian.

But of course you've convinced me that /usr/bsd is necessary for some
time ;)

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992