Re: Booting

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:07:36PM -0500, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 06:55:26PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > This is certainly true. It's a wishlist item, it would be nice if all
> > free kernels would use multiboot. I've heard that grub will at least
> > be partly rewritten to make some new features possible, it might also
> > be the "extra environmental stuff" but I'm not sure what you mean with
> > it.
>
> It'd be nice, but I think the BSD's are going to be pretty skeptical.
> FreeBSD, in particular, has a very nice boot loader. I rather like it,
> it reminds me of OpenBoot.
>
> The man page for loader.conf describes some of the environment stuff I
> mentioned:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=loader.conf&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.5-stable&format=html

Reading quickly the things supported, I think those things can be
passed from the loader to the kernel using the multiboot
specification. FreeBSD doesn't need to abandon its bootloader and the
way of doing things, just change it to use the multiboot
specification. That way you could use the FreeBSD loader for every
kernel and every multiboot-compliant bootloader for the FreeBSD kernel.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org