Re: Booting

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 11:28:05PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> GRUB appears capable of booting the kernel, but can't pass any kernel
> options. This appears to include passing the root file system, requiring
> it to be typed by hand later on.
>
> The NetBSD loader is, unsurprisingly, not subject to this restriction. I'd
> be tempted to go with packaging this and using it as our primary boot
> mechanism unless anyone objects. The one problem I can think of is that it
> stores the bootcode in /boot, which is a directory under Linux systems. Do
> we want to leave /boot as a directory and move the BSD bootcode in there
> (presumably patching things slightly in the process) or leave it as is?

Honestly? I'd really love to see GRUB achieve it's nominal purpose - GRand
Unified Bootloader. Making it capable of compiling on, and booting, *BSD
machines seems like a major step forward for it, and it shouldn't be all
that hard - it's just one kernel and one primary filesystem (FFS) to make
sure function, to support the vast majority of BSD-land.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/