Re: Booting

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:16:46PM -0500, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 05:25:12PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > I think the best way is to make multiboot BSD kernel images. The
> > multiboot standard is very flexible, it's included in the grub
> > documentation.
>
> That would indeed be nice. It also is not something I'm going to waste
> my time on. FreeBSD has a bootloader that works just fine. Works a lot
> like grub, in fact. However, there is a lot of extra environmental stuff
> that it does, and I'm not sure that grub could support that without a
> lot of extra code.
>
> IMHO, this is a case of fixing something that isn't broken. And at this
> point in time, it's just not worthwhile.

This is certainly true. It's a wishlist item, it would be nice if all
free kernels would use multiboot. I've heard that grub will at least
be partly rewritten to make some new features possible, it might also
be the "extra environmental stuff" but I'm not sure what you mean with
it.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org