Re: hmm...

Will Yardley <william@hq.newdream.net> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 04:41:05PM -0400, Richard Tibbetts wrote:
> > For what its worth, debian doesn't seem to really use /opt. At least
> > not for debian packages, which tend to put their stuff right in /usr.
>
> I do like the idea of following the freebsd (i think net and open bsd may do
> this too) convention of putting everything that's not part of base in
> /usr/local/whatever - debian tends to put stuff in /usr for the most part -
> most of the debian systems i've worked on have barely anything in /usr/local

NetBSD actually puts everything "third party" that's built with pkgsrc
into /usr/pkg/ (or for some things /usr/X11R6, which is hated by many
people). /usr/local is reserved for "local" things built by the local
administrator.

> it is annoying tho when you have something that's installed locally but is
> also part of the base system (ie bind, ssh or whatever) as it's pretty hard
> (afaik) to remove a package that's part of the base system in bsd.

NetBSD doesn't, for better or worse (well for worse) have "base
system" packages. At the moment, we have a base system and we have
packages of third party stuff added on top of that.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com