Re: Soooooooo...

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 06:24:00PM -0400, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> I couldn't get gcc 3.0 to build. As for aims: this isn't exactly going to get
> released with woody, or very likely with the next one. I'm going with anything
> that I can get to work for right now.

The GCC team are apparantly hoping to have NetBSD working properly in the
3.0.1, so I'm currently inclined to aim for getting 3.0 or one of the
snapshots packaged. I may not have time to look at this properly until the
weekend, but I'm reasonably optimistic :)

Packages that still need to be done (after GCC) are:

base-passwd
console-data/console-tools
e2fsprogs (ufstools)
netbase
shadow
sysvinit
util-linux

which looks pretty achievable. Most of these are pretty kernel specific,
so should probably be based on the NetBSD tools for now. We obviously need
a bootloader and kernel packaged as well, but I'm not expecting those to
be too difficult (we can probably count on people to be reasonably happy
to play with fiddly bits of kernel install for the moment). From looking
at the debian-boot list, there's some desire to make the new
(post-Woody) Debian installer non-OS specific. Looking into making it
possible to install Debian GNU/NetBSD with the standard Debian installer
would probably be worthwhile, though we're some way off that yet.

If anyone wants the stuff I'm currently working on, yell. I'd rather get
gcc packaged and have a reasonably consistent base package before sticking
another root tarball and package repository up (and I'd like the
opportunity to tidy up some of the packages I've got here :) ), but I'm
happy to stick them somewhere if people want to work on them.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org