Re: My ideas

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 11:58:10PM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:

> On 21-Oct-2000 Dan Papasian wrote:
>
> > Secondly, it's strength is mainly in its userland, which shares
> > much in common with Net and Free when it comes to security.  Dump
> > the userland to replace it with Debians, and you've thrown
> > all that away.
>
> In fact, I meant replacing userland also -- but then we would get OpenBSD
> instead of Debian ;-) Forget it, just a crazy idea.

*nod* Perhaps you all should try FreeBSD and OpenBSD before
you go work on them :)  I would guess that nearly half of the
people who want Debian/BSD have little BSD experience- at least
that's the way I remember it when this FIRST came up, many moons
ago..

> Anyway, it would be much easier in case of any special needs, to
> replace the BSDs as a kernel, once the port will be done.

Right, except Linux isn't BSD, and vice versa- there's no way
to just plug-and-play the kernels.

> > certain computational tasks.  To say that one is "better" than
> > the other is crazy.
>
> Oh, sorry. By "improved" I meant the amount of hardware supported,
> i.e. the drivers. For sure, I won't judge the kernel itself - they
> are all based on one 4.4 code, anyway :))

Well, technically, NetBSD and it's 32 some platforms takes the
hat for hardware support ;)

But for things like my SBLive, it's FreeBSD or bust.  Until someone
ports newpcm to NetBSD... (gears turning in head)

--
      Dan Papasian
  (bugg@bugg.strangled.net)

Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules.
Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.