Re: My ideas

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 09:12:46AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 04:48:31PM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> >
> > On 20-Oct-2000 prasad gadgil wrote:
> > > Points to discuss can be -:
> >
> > Ok, it looks like a convinient poll :)
> >
> > If everybody will be agreed, we may start voting with such questions.
> > But, please, no dicussions ;-)
> >

> > > 1. kernel from...
> > >          _Freebsd_   OR   _Net/Openbsd_
> >
> > Here I can't stand ;-) Once we will port to FreeBSD which is
> > the most improved kernel for now, we may much easier create specialized
> > distros based on other kernels for other needs. For example, "Secure Debian"
> >  and "Of course, it runs Debian/NetBSD" ;-)
> >

> 	I'd pick the FreeBSD kernel.
>

> 	I admit to knowing little about security, so I'll pose this
> 	to any security wizards on the list:: how could the strengths
> 	of OpenBSD's be folded into a DebianBSD?

You can't.

First of all, you need to look at OpenBSD realistically- it's
security record is in the same ballpark as FreeBSD's and (perhaps
to a slightly lesser extent) NetBSD's.

Secondly, it's strength is mainly in its userland, which shares
much in common with Net and Free when it comes to security.  Dump
the userland to replace it with Debians, and you've thrown
all that away.

The security strength of the kernel is integrated crypto- which
is not a big deal for 99% of the installations out there.

By the way: I'm a FreeBSD fan (and minor contributor) but
to claim that it's the "most improved kernel" is a bit
of a stretch.  You can't make any harsh judgements
between NetBSD and FreeBSD, because they're very close
in a lot of ways.  For example, FreeBSD takes the cake
in SCSI and SMP, but NetBSD may still be faster at
certain computational tasks.  To say that one is "better" than
the other is crazy.

Here's an interesting page:
http://innominate.org/%7Etgr/slides/performance/

It's easy to make comparisions between Linux, BSD, and Solaris
regarding technical superiority, but between NetBSD and FreeBSD
kernels it becomes very close..

--
      Dan Papasian
  (bugg@bugg.strangled.net)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside
of a dog, it's too hard to read.
	--Groucho Marx