RE: Is it _really_ dead?

> Both the ports tree and the pkg_* tools (which are *very*
> similar in nature to apt-get, dselect, dpkg, ...) handle both
> build and run dependencies transparently.  The big thing missing
> in the ports tree and associated tools is when upgrading existing
> packages to newer versions.  There are efforts (see openpackages
> and the list archives) in this regard so they haven't been
> sitting on their laurels waiting for the Debian system to rescue
> them. :)

Probably wise -- Debian is not generally speedy.  And dpkg is
undergoing some revamping at the moment.

> I'm all for helping out with a common set of tools to manage
> packages between BSD and Debian which is why I was among the
> first handful or so of the people to subscribe to this list.
> I also did some initial work on porting dpkg to FreeBSD and
> made that available as a FreeBSD port to some people on this
> list.  It was far from complete but at least it was a start.

This is great!

> Replacing the BSD userland with a GNU one from Debian or more
> precisely having just a BSD kernel with a Debian userland on
> the other hand is not something that interests me.
[ ... snip ... ]

I guess what I'm confused about is what exactly all you BSD folks
want.  This is the second or third message to this list that says
(my paraphrase):  "We think some BSD/Debian cross-pollenation would
be good.  But we don't want any GNU userland tools, and we don't
want Dpkg because we like the Ports system, and we don't want
apt because we have the pkg-tools.  Oh, and by the way I'm not
interested in helping out with a system that would be a BSD kernel
with GNU user space."

So what exactly *is* present in Debian that would be at all
helpful?

I'm not trying to incite a flame war either -- I just don't see
how we can help...  There just doesn't seem to be any common
ground that I've seen yet.

Thanks,

-Brent