RE: Is it _really_ dead?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> So what exactly *is* present in Debian that would be at all
> helpful?

You can configure apt to have a location for security updates. Then you
can use apt to automatcially update the system with new fixes. The basic
way to do this with bsd is download the patch(es), go into the source
directory, apply the patch, make and then make install. Depending on the
situation, you may need to repeat this for each patch or you may be able
to just apply all the patches and then do the make at the end. (apt can do
this with binary packages -- which can save a day on my 486.) Another way
BSD's do fixes is to update the entire packages/ports collection,
deinstall the package and then rebuild the package. Does anyone know of a
fast (no compiling) and automatic method of retrieving and installing
security updates in a BSD that compares with apt?

On a slow system (I still use several 486s), binaries (non-source)
packages are great. As far as I know and I haven't used any BSD that can
figure out dependencies AND automatically download the dependencies as
binary (non-source) packages. (It can do it when building from source,
though.) If I am wrong, feel free to teach me.

FreeBSD does have a portcheckout tool (which I haven't used) that can
install a package and its dependencies without having a full and
up-to-date /usr/ports tree. (Can anyone explain this? How does it compare
with apt-get?)

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.reedmedia.net/
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/