Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 04:11:01PM -0500, Dan Papasian wrote:
> What do you think the port maintainer does?

Actually, one thing I've been wanting to do for awhile is build a variant
install (or, more likely, a wrapper for install) which registers what
it does in the dpkg database.  The package name would come from an
environmental variable.

I'd probably want to build some helper which made it trivial to automate
running make while setting this variable.

To do this right, I'd need to support a "package version" environmental
variable as well, and I'd need to be able to indicate when install is
complete (a make wrapper would do this, for example).  [Unsuccessful
termination -- or detection of a stale session -- would result in rolling
back the install.  Successful completion would result in committing
the install.]

[For those that don't know: debian first places all files into the
file system with special extensions, and when the unpack completes
successfully, the files are renamed to their cannonical names, and the
dpkg database is updated.  This isn't completely atomic (be interesting
to modify the kernel so that it would be, at least within a partition),
but it works well under most error conditions.]

--
Raul