Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 10:27:34PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> This is presuming that the issues can't be dealt with in libc [or in
> the linux compat library.]

Every issue can be delt with, in some way.  If you'd like to fix the
relationship between the kernel so that mismatched worlds and kernels
aren't always terrible, feel free.

> Anyways, given this supposedly wonderful support for linux binaries,
> perhaps it could be built into something stable enough to support multiple
> bsd kernel versions?

What is "it"?  I'm not too sure what you are referring to.

> Or is that as realistic as expecting FreeBSD to be portable across
> multiple cpu architectures?  [Did I mention I'm mystified that BSD folks
> criticize the design of the Linux kernel when NetBSD isn't as fast as
> Linux and FreeBSD isn't as portable?]

FreeBSD is portable, thank you.  The bootsector followed by device
drivers is the problem, because not many people are interested in
the non-x86 side of FreeBSD, but the OS itself _is_ portable.

As for speed, that depends on the application.  AFAIK Linux still
lacks any form of preemptive swapping in the VM subsystem.  Result: when
your demand for memory exceeds the physical RAM, your inactive pages must
swap out as soon as the newer process requests them, with a result of
heavy I/O when you first start swapping.

-Dan