Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 05:59:23AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> It works fine on most applications, but it's missing a couple things
> (syscall() support, last time I checked -- and I have a vauge recollection
> of something else).

I believe

> Ok.  I was hoping that the two forks (Free/Net) would unfork, but I've
> been harrassing FreeBSD folk about the lack of portability off and on for
> several years now.  I guess I can live with a portable FreeBSD kernel,
> but I'm still disappointed about the split.

Free/Net would unfork?  There never really was a fork per se.
after Jolitz abandoned 386BSD, people posted patches for everyone to use.

Eventually these patch kits became two OSs- neither forked from another.

> > The comments you see about the design of the Linux kernel from the
> > BSD community are undoubtedly not because of its speed or
> > portability.  Rather it is because the BSD kernel is ~30 years in
> > the making and Linux has about 9.  The BSD kernel was and contiues
> > to be the basis for a number of commercial (including realtime) OSs.
> > Linux is seeing more and more uses, but please don't discredit the
> > decades of hard work that went into designing what is the BSD kernel.
> > You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but please don't do it
> > with baseless comments like this.  Provide facts and real numbers
> > and we'll all believe you.  Otherwise you are just spitting in the
> > wind.
>
> I'm unhappy about the Free/Net split.  What kind of numbers do you want
> from me to justify this unhappiness?

Again, Free did not split from Net and vice versa.  There was no split.

Also, the BSD kernel is used both in actual OSes and as a model for
monolithic kernel design: I'm sure both Linus and AC have a copy
of The Complete Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating system
around.

> I think that, given that so many people think this split is justified,
> that criticisms of the Linux approach are superficial.  Why do you
> characterize such comments as baseless?
>
> It's good to hear that FreeBSD is moving in the direction of being
> portable.  Maybe this means that NetBSD can move in the direction of
> being fast.
>
> I can hope.

Many commits between Free/Net/Open come from each other.  There is a strong
feeling of brotherhood among Free/Net and _tons_ of work is shared
(namely the Linux Compatiblity mode, the package format, ports.. I can
go on if you'd like)

-Dan