Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 04:11:09PM -0500, Dan Papasian wrote:
> Free/Net would unfork?  There never really was a fork per se.
> after Jolitz abandoned 386BSD, people posted patches for everyone to use.
>
> Eventually these patch kits became two OSs- neither forked from another.

Perhaps fork is the wrong term for a split which occurred because
the primary author did a rewrite.

I still think they should merge, however.  They very much seem to
dovetail.

> > I'm unhappy about the Free/Net split. What kind of numbers do you
> > want from me to justify this unhappiness?
>
> Again, Free did not split from Net and vice versa. There was no split.
>
> Also, the BSD kernel is used both in actual OSes and as a model for
> monolithic kernel design: I'm sure both Linus and AC have a copy of
> The Complete Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating system
> around.

I do agree that there is work to be done on the Linux kernel.  However,
I don't agree that simply following the above documentation is the
right approach.  FreeBSD does incorporate ideas which were originally
seen in the Linux kernel, and Linux does incorporate ideas which were
originally seen in the FreeBSD kernel.

However, it seems far more reasonable to ask that Net/Free BSD merge
than it does to ask that Linux become a BSD system.  At least the two
free BSDs intentionally share a common architecture.

--
Raul