Re: Debian FreeBSD - experiment

On Thursday 18 November 1999, at 16 h 59, the keyboard of Piotr Roszatycki
<dexter@fnet.pl> wrote:

> > How is it different? You're thinking of the passwd.master (or what it's
> > called), or something else?
>
> FreeBSD-3.3 have master.passwd with additional fields befor GECOS field.

We discussed two approaches on this list:

- just using the FreeBSD kernel (and a few userland kernel-specific
utilities), everything else would be normal Debian,
- or porting dpkg and some packages to FreeBSD.

Apparently, you choosed the second way? Because we are not *forced* to use the
FreeBSD password system, we can replace it by "ours".

> More interesting is sysvinit package. FreeBSD have different init style
> and haven't got /etc/inittab file.

Same thing here.