Re: Debian FreeBSD - experiment

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thursday 18 November 1999, at 16 h 59, the keyboard of Piotr Roszatycki
> <dexter@fnet.pl> wrote:
> We discussed two approaches on this list:
> - just using the FreeBSD kernel (and a few userland kernel-specific
> utilities), everything else would be normal Debian,
> - or porting dpkg and some packages to FreeBSD.
>
> Apparently, you choosed the second way? Because we are not *forced* to use the
> FreeBSD password system, we can replace it by "ours".
>
> > More interesting is sysvinit package. FreeBSD have different init style
> > and haven't got /etc/inittab file.
>
> Same thing here.

Is it possible to keep them both, and use sysvinit as a *second* option
(default being the FreeBSD style)?
I use FreeBSD occasionally (still have an old 486 with it at home :-),
and actually I like it's init style better than debian's (be it not that
much better to hack it into my own debian boxes).

Regards,

Filip

Note: actually I like slackware's init style even more, it resembles
FreeBSD's but keeps the inittab.