Re: Debian FreeBSD - experiment

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Per Lundberg wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
>
> > I didn't make any networking package. It is too early for this project.
> > More important is i.e. base-passwd package, but FreeBSD have completly
> > different passwd system...
>
> How is it different? You're thinking of the passwd.master (or what it's
> called), or something else?

FreeBSD-3.3 have master.passwd with additional fields befor GECOS field.
This file have to be compiled to binary form /etc/pwd.db by pwd_db command,
AFAIR.

Maybe someone would like to hack base-passwd package and add support
for FreeBSD? :)

More interesting is sysvinit package. FreeBSD have different init style
and haven't got /etc/inittab file. We could adaptade Linux /sbin/init
or use original FreeBSD /sbin/init. Of course SYSV-like init scripts
scheme is possible to use and are indepedent of /sbin/init binary.
run-parts and start-stop-daemon work pretty.

--
Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki   GCM d- s-:- a-- C++ UL++++$ P+++ L+++>$ E---- W-
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl       N++ o? K? w-- O-- M- V- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP++ t-- 5--