Re: Installation Errors

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 01:23:39PM -0400, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Awesome, thanks!
>
> How can we get those that make the mini disk or the other iso files to put
> in nmtui so that if a person that wants a text only installation as many
> blind users like have an easy way to connect without installing the GUI
> graphical desktop.

nmtui and nmcli are both part of Network Manager which pulls in other
dependencies but it shouldn't be a problem in some sense. It might mean
adding Network Manager as part of Debian standard packages and the
recent trend is to cut down on the number of Debian packages installed
to allow for smaller minimum machines, containers and VMs.

> Also it was promised that the installer would have an option to boot
> directly into text mode for those users who want this.

*Which* installer? If you install using the debian-live media, then I think
all bets are off as far as accessibility goes for someone visually impaired -
though the Debian-live standard .iso is probably OK since it includes only
text mode programs.

The text mode install is directly there in a Debian
netinst as is the expert text mode install which asks all the questions
to include those at lower priority. I'd need to check - but I'm fairly
sure that the Bookworm installer coming up has a speech install option
and also a high contrast text mode install.

> No one answered my bug report about not being able to log in using my user
> account, so I will use "smartctl -t long" and see what is happening to my
> hard drive!

Which bug report number, please?

> Thanks,
>
> David