Re: Addition to release-notes?

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> (2021-08-03):
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 02:05:34PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> > When using an official installer image, you will most likely need to
> > enable the non-free component of the archive, when asked for that.

Do we prompt for such a thing? We offer loading firmware from external
storage, which might or might not work due to lack of active support
(#991771). As far as I understand from the code I looked at (#989863 and
friends), if one chooses to look around for firmware files/packages,
non-free will be automatically enabled without a specific prompt about
that part. But then I was mainly making sure firmware-enabled images
would work better out of the scope.

> I just have a comment on the term, and it's probably too late and too
> invasive, but anyway:
>
> 'official' and 'inofficial' are IMO the wrong terms here, it would be
> better to call them what they are: Debian main/free installation
> images and Debian main&non-free installation images.

Are you choosing to ignore SC#5 entirely? non-free isn't part of Debian.

> As I see it, Debian does a release. Or a main release if you like to
> call it more descriptive. And a non-free release. Calling that
> non-free release 'inofficial' is IMO besides the point and non-helpful
> if too many people need those.

(Fixing the initial typo in passing) unofficial is the directory where
unofficial installation images live; that helps people find the relevant
files.

> And they need them, not because unofficial stuff is cool or better,
> but because those non-free firmwares are included!
>
> So, I'd call those images the "Debian main images" and the "Debian
> main images with non-free firmwares".
>
> But maybe besides being too late for this change, this change is also
> not just editorial / a question of language, but a political stance.
>
> But I also think naming things correctly is 'the right thing to do'
> and part of the excellence we strive for. So, bookworm material maybe?

I'll let him chime in, last I checked, neither Steve (for debian-cd
and/or debian-boot) or me (for debian-boot) believe we have the right to
make that kind of decision for the Project as a whole. So we stick with
the status quo. If you want to change it, get the Project's approval.

(We wouldn't mind; quite the opposite, probably. But do we want to lead
the next firmware GR? No.)

Cheers,