Re: Addition to release-notes?

hi,

thanks to all of you making installations with non-free firmwares more
bearable and finally enjoyable!

On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 02:05:34PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> When using an official installer image, you will most likely need to
> enable the non-free component of the archive, when asked for that.

I just have a comment on the term, and it's probably too late and too invasive,
but anyway:

'official' and 'inofficial' are IMO the wrong terms here, it would be
better to call them what they are: Debian main/free installation images
and Debian main&non-free installation images.

As I see it, Debian does a release. Or a main release if you like to call
it more descriptive. And a non-free release. Calling that non-free release
'inofficial' is IMO besides the point and non-helpful if too many people
need those.

And they need them, not because unofficial stuff is cool or better, but
because those non-free firmwares are included!

So, I'd call those images the "Debian main images" and the "Debian main
images with non-free firmwares".

But maybe besides being too late for this change, this change is also
not just editorial / a question of language, but a political stance.

But I also think naming things correctly is 'the right thing to do' and
part of the excellence we strive for. So, bookworm material maybe?

--
cheers,
	Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: B8BF54137B09D35CF026FE9D 091AB856069AAA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

Society: Be Yourself!
Society: No, not like that.