Re: Addition to release-notes?

Hi,

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Tue, 03 Aug 2021 19:34:51 +0200):
> what about adding a small hint to the release-notes,
> describing a bit the new "firmware-installation"
> mechanism via modalias, maybe with a link to the
> new docs in the installation-guide, for those who
> experience problems?
>
> I would volunteer for working out a proposal, if wanted...

A first proposal might look like this:

 <varlistentry>
 <term>Help with installation of firmware</term>
 <listitem>
 <para>
 Since chances are getting higher, that users might need device firmware installed
 to get their hardware running properly, the installer has been improved to help
 with that.
 A new mechanism has been implemented, which tries to detect - based on a
 hardware ID -> firmware file mapping - if some of the installed hardware needs
 firmware files to be installed, and installs them automatically in such case.
 <para></para>
 This works out of the box, if you are using an inofficial installer image with
 firmware included (see <ulink
 url="https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/#firmware_nonfree";>https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/#firmware_nonfree</ulink>).
 When using an official installer image, you will most likely need to enable the
 non-free component of the archive, when asked for that, since most firmware
 packages are not DFSG-free and therefore not distributable via main.
 </para>
 </listitem>
 </varlistentry>

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076