Re: Speed up installation: activate eatmydata-udeb by default and include eatmydata package in /pool

Charles Curley, le sam. 13 mars 2021 19:03:17 -0700, a ecrit:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 03:18:12 +0300
> ValdikSS <iam@valdikss.org.ru> wrote:
>
> >  1. eatmydata-udeb should be enabled by default, to speed up the
> >     installation process. It should not require to be enabled from
> >     preseed file or bootloader cmdline. It's pointless to use fsync()
> >     in installation process, the user won't attempt to fix partially
> >     installed system due to power loss, it only slows it down.
>
> I am concerned with low memory installations. I suggest that under low
> memory conditions eatmydata-udeb should be optional.

?

- If you are concerned with the space used by the .udeb itself, under
  very low memory conditions the lowmem package already asks the user
  to choose which udebs to enable. TBH, "lowmem" nowadays doesn't care
  about a few dozen KiB :)

- If you are concerned with possibly large page cache usage, well it's
  up to the Linux kernel to flush when it feels obliged to, and at this
  point the swap is enabled already anyway.

Samuel