Re: Problem installing Debian on Dell XPS 13 9360 laptop

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 10:38:03PM +0000, Bernard McNeill wrote:
>> Bernard McNeill <bmqawsed4@gmail.com> wrote (Sat, 13 Feb 2021 19:45:27 +0000):
>> > The installation appears to go fine.
>> > The installer creates a new entry 'Debian' in the boot list.
>> > Machine rebooted, pressing F12 to get into one-time boot option.
>> > Choice is 'Debian', or 'Windows Boot Manager'.
>> > Take option 'Debian' and system then hangs with:
>> > 'Press F1 key to retry boot.'
>> > 'Press F2 key to reboot into setup.'
>> > 'Press F5 key to run onboard diagnostics.'
>>
>> During Debian installation, rather at the end, you have been prompted
>> where to install the GRUB bootloader, right?
>> What did you choose there?
>>
>> Is the Windows system still bootable as usual?
>>
>> Providing the installer logfiles would also be good, by the way...
>> See https://d-i.debian.org/doc/installation-guide/en.amd64/ch06s03.html#save-logs
>>

>> Holger
>>

>+ During Debian installation, rather at the end, you have been prompted
>+ where to install the GRUB bootloader, right?
>I do not think I was given any choice - everything ran through to the point
>where I was warned to remove the installation media before rebooting.

It's a UEFI system, so that's normal. I think what you're hitting here
looks like a similar bug to https://bugs.debian.org/905319. If you
follow the same workaround as suggested in

If you use the installation media to boot into rescue mode, it also
has an option to do the EFI removable media path thing.

***Be aware***: this will stop your system booting Windows directly,
you'll have to go via Grub to get there. I think there is a firmware
bug that's the root cause of your problem.

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews