Re: Problem installing Debian on Dell XPS 13 9360 laptop

On Mon, 2021-02-08 at 20:47 +0000, Bernard McNeill wrote:

> On 08/02/2021 20:33, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Bernard McNeill <bmqawsed4@gmail.com> (2021-02-08):
> > > It says to 'Change the SATA from RAID On to AHCI, without this change Linux
> > > will not find SSD'.
> > > Questions: 1. To me, SATA is a reference to HDD, no internal HDD on my
> > >                copy of this model - so not relevant ?
> >
> > Used for almost anything really, HDD, SSD, USB sticks, etc.
> >
> > > In passing, I note the same link shows a need to disable Secure Boot -
> > > is this now obsolete?
> >
> > Likely. We've started supporting SB with Debian 10 (buster).
> >

> > Cheers,
> >

> If I change the SATA from RAID On to AHCI, do I mess up whatever is
> currently on the SSD?
>
> Best regards

See https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Pros-Cons-AHCI-vs-Raid-On-XPS13-9300-NVMe/td-p/7636984

You have Windows on a regular, spinning hard disk in the machine, and you also have an
unused SSD -- is this correct?  Or maybe they are already RAIDed together by the factory?

I thing especially if you are now introducing a third external disk to the mix, you probably
do not want this factory RAID thing, but I don't know how safe it is to turn it off if you
already have two mass-storage devices controlled by the thing.