Re: Problem installing Debian on Dell XPS 13 9360 laptop

On Mon, 2021-02-08 at 11:46 +0000, Bernard McNeill wrote:

> On 07/02/2021 22:26, Lou Poppler wrote:
> > On Sun, 2021-02-07 at 15:14 -0700, Lou Poppler wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2021-02-07 at 20:44 +0000, Bernard McNeill wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > > >

> > [...]
> > > See install manual https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
> > >
> > > Also worth asking:
> > > . Is the machine booting in BIOS mode or UEFI mode, with or without
> > >   "Secure Boot"?  Was the machine booting in that same mode during your
> > >   debian installation?
> > > . Are the "disks" involved both/all partitioned in the same schema --
> > >    i.e.  GPT partitions or MBR partitions?
> >
> > I forgot when writing the above, but another important question is whether you
> > have already disabled the Windows Fast Startup option in Windows 10.  This is
> > mandatory, and things will work differently depending on whether it is disabled
> > already or not. See section 3.6.4 of the install manual.
> >

> Fast startup was _not_ disabled - I thought (from install manual) only
> applicable to Win-8, and this machine Win-10.
> It is disabled now.

Good.  This is updated in the new version of the install manual, thanks to
Holger Wansing.
(see https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/ch03s06.en.html )

> In the same spirit, found a 'Fastboot' option in BIOS: It was set to
> 'Minimal', it is now set to 'Thorough'.
>
> UEFI mode, Secure Boot always set.
>
> Nothing much has changed, except that reboot now offers opportunity to
> skip a disk check (not taken).
>
> I am nervous that not disabling 'Fast startup' might have messed up
> process from beginning - I may repeat entire installation.

Yes worth a re-do.  Pay attention to section 6.3.7 of the install manual, about
getting the grub boot loader installed (onto your removable disk).

> +++  Are the "disks" involved both/all partitioned in the same schema --
> +++  i.e.  GPT partitions or MBR partitions?
> I have partitioned nothing on the laptop's SSD (and don't really want to
> - the idea of the external USB HDD for Debian was to make that drive a
> sandbox - no possible corruption of other work under Win-10).
> The external USB HDD was partitioned by the debian_installer (Guided
> total disk).

This should be OK.  You said above UEFI/Secure-boot always set, which implies
that all the disks should be setup as GPT style.