Re: Problem installing Debian on Dell XPS 13 9360 laptop

On Mon, 2021-02-08 at 20:07 +0000, Bernard McNeill wrote:
[...]
> I was planning the re-install, and came across this page:
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell/Dell_XPS_13_9360
>
> It says to 'Change the SATA from RAID On to AHCI, without this change
> Linux will not find SSD'.
> Questions: 1. To me, SATA is a reference to HDD, no internal HDD on my
> copy of this model - so not relevant ?
>             2. I don't care if Linux just 'finds' the SSD.
>                But I care very greatly about Linux _disturbing_ the
> contents of the SSD - I consider this Win-10's domain.
>                Do I need to worry about this?

SATA is the wiring/controller for the internal storage, spinning or SSD.
I don't see why you should change it.  I am suspicious of the idea of some kind
of Dell RAID settings though.  Are you using or planing to use a RAID setup?

> In passing, I note the same link shows a need to disable Secure Boot -
> is this now obsolete?

Yes, you can leave Secure Boot on, modern debian versions are fine with that.