Re: F2FS support

On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 08:24:02AM +0000, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
>> Awesome work! I've had a quick skim through, and itlooks OK but I'm
>> not an f2fs user and don't have any eMMC/SD hardware available at the
>> moment so I can't readily test it here either.
>
>Thanks for the answer! F2FS also works nice with normal SSDs, the
>advantage compared to ext4 is just very small afaik.

Hmmm, OK. I mis-read, assuming it was flash-specific. I can't promise
to do much testing for you just yet, though - really busy on other
stuff atm.

>> To test, you'll want to build d-i and add your new module. See
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build
>>
>> for instructions there. The easiest option is then to build a
>> monolithic installer initramfs. Boot that and run through the
>> installer. Make sure your new module is included and check it works as
>> you'd expect
>
>Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it. I will try to build it
>and test it with my old machine when I have time to set it up,
>probably sadly not earlier than February.

OK, cool.

>That being said I have two questions:
>
> * The first alpha of the Bullseye installer just got released, is
>   there any ETA for the second one / beta? Would love to see F2FS in
>   there, an ETA would be nice so I could set myself a time frame.

We *try* to do the alpha builds every few months, but it's a (very!)
flexible schedule at this stage of the release process. It depends on
kibi and me having time to do things - he's the d-i release manager,
and I run the CD/DVD builds.

The hard deadline will be near the end of 2020, when we freeze
Bullseye for the full release. We'll then switch to doing release
candidates for d-i, and at that point we will only want to be taking
bugfixes.

> * As the d-i is new to me, I don't really get what exactly to put in
>   the mountoptions/f2fs file. I read the kernel documentation for
>   F2FS and found all the mount options, however I compared it with
>   btrfs & xfs and it looks like it's not simply a copy of all mount
>   options provided by the kernel. I couldn't find any documentation
>   how the d-i handles this file, so could you (or someone else) help
>   me out here?

To be honest, I'm genuinely not sure. I've never had to play with that
piece myself. Checking the code/changelog in partman-basicfilesystems,
I *think* it's a list of the mount options that are allowed for a
specific filesystem, so that d-i can validate what options the user
has chosen for a filesystem. But I'm not 100% sure, sorry!

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane