Re: F2FS support

Hi Stephan!

Apologies for the delayed response - really busy festive period
here... :-/

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 01:05:13PM +0000, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
>Took a look at several partman modules and created a module for
>f2fs. I think it's already somewhat functional, if you're interested,
>here's the salsa repo:
>
>https://salsa.debian.org/stephanlachnit-guest/partman-f2fs
>
>I don't know how to test it, but I don't have any spare devices right
>now anyway. Would love to hear some feedback!

Awesome work! I've had a quick skim through, and it *looks* OK but I'm
not an f2fs user and don't have any eMMC/SD hardware available at the
moment so I can't readily test it here either.

To test, you'll want to build d-i and add your new module. See

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

for instructions there. The easiest option is then to build a
monolithic installer initramfs. Boot that and run through the
installer. Make sure your new module is included and check it works as
you'd expect:

 * is it listed in the available filesystems when you create a new
   partition/filesystem?
 * can you create a new filesystem using f2fs?
 * does it show up in the list of filesystems aferwards?
 * do you get the right entries in fstab after the installation?
 * do you get the appropriate fs tools packages installed
   automatically by the installer if you have used f2fs?

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.