Re: Graphical installer on arm64 (netboot and cdrom)

On 20/04/2020 20:22, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 07:36:42PM +0300, Alper Nebi Yasak wrote:
On 20/04/2020 18:38, Steve McIntyre wrote:
Does /dev/tty0 show up in /proc/consoles in your setup? We might need
to tweak that yet...

Here is a small but untested patch for rootskel's reopen-console for that.

Hmmm. Is this the right answer, though? I've got totally headless
arm64 machines that also have a /dev/tty0. Would we want to run d-i there?
Maybe, I'm genuinely not sure. It might be harmless, I guess...?

Fedora's installer launches a graphical installer just fine on the same virtual machine I'm testing Debian installers on, regardless of tty0 not being in /proc/consoles. I'm not sure if it launches on a dummy tty0 as well, or even if Xorg can run on a dummy tty0 if we try to launch debian-installer there.

An alternative that occurred to me later is putting console=tty0 on the "Graphical install" grub entries (in grub-gencfg), but that'd mean debian-installer wouldn't run on serial consoles when launched from those entries (probably OK, not sure).

IMO, the right answer is "tty0 not even being in /proc/consoles in this case (where it should've also been the /dev/console) is a kernel bug". I tried to write a patchset [1] a while back, but received no feedback except from kbuild test bot saying it's broken (s/#elif/#else on the last patch). I don't know if I did anything wrong or anything right at all.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/44156595-0eee-58da-4376-fd25b634d21b@gmail.com/T/