Re: Graphical installer on arm64 (netboot and cdrom)

On 2020-04-21 14:14 +0300, Alper Nebi Yasak wrote:

> IMO, the right answer is "tty0 not even being in /proc/consoles in this case
> (where it should've also been the /dev/console) is a kernel bug".

This is my opinion too, although I'm prepared to change it if someone
can given a good reason why this behaviour is reasonable.

Well done for posting a kernel patch to fix it. I hadn't noticed as I
don't watch kernel stuff.

However even if we get that sorted in due course we may in practice
have to deal with kernels currently getting this wrong for many years
so some bodging and heuristics in D_I may also be experient.

One thought - can we just perhaps use /dev/console 'anyway' and
that'll get us the right thing even when tty0 has not been properly
enabled when it should have been? (I've forgotten how all this works
and would need to go read the runes again, and most of my test
platforms are currently not easily accessible...)

> I tried to
> write a patchset [1] a while back, but received no feedback except from
> kbuild test bot saying it's broken (s/#elif/#else on the last patch). I
> don't know if I did anything wrong or anything right at all.
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/44156595-0eee-58da-4376-fd25b634d21b@gmail.com/T/

Hmm. I have no idea if you are doing this right either, but it all
sounds plausible. I guess a reports with the s/#elif/#else fix is in
order anyway, and that might prompt a response from someone with
console clue.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/